Sunday, June 7, 2009

You Are My I Love You, by Maryann Cusimano

You Are My I Love You is a bit of an indulgence book for me. I love books about parent-child relationships, and books with a bit of poetry in them, and if the kids will tolerate them, I will read them over and over again. This book is a particularly excellent example of that style, and although it's a library book, I may well end up purchasing it myself -- er, for my kids, I mean.

The story is about the relationship between a parent and a child. The opening lines are "I am your parent; you are my child. I am your quiet place; you are my wild." The text is entirely couplets of this nature, showing the calm and support and guidance of a parent and the eagerness and openness and magic of being a child. I cannot get through it without tearing up, because it so completely describes the joy of having a child and seeing them unfold the mysteries of the world. "I am your favorite book; you are my new lines. I am your night-light; you are my starshine."

The illustrations are beautiful and active. The characters in it are two teddy bears, a big teddy bear and a little one, and the actions and energy leap from the page. My kids will sit on the floor with this book just flipping through the pages to see the illustrations, even without someone to read it to them.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It would make a fantastic shower gift for an expectant mother or father, or a book for your own kids of just about any age. One word of possible warning: there is one couplet in it of a religious nature ("I am your praying hands; you are my saying grace"). It is not a religious book in nature (that is the only reference to anything religious), but if you do not want religion in your children's books at all, this is not a good choice for you.

If you liked this book, you might also try:

No comments:

Post a Comment